Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Critters


I ran into a bunch of interesting animals last year that never made it onto the blog. Either I didn't have enough information to write a whole post, or I just never got around to editing the photos. I thought you might enjoy them, though, so I'm rolling a whole bunch of random critter pictures into this one post.

Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) on the beach at Hulls Cove:

Eggs of the Longfin Squid (Loligo pealei), found by a friend of mine, also on the beach at Hulls Cove:



Eastern Willet (Tringa semipalmata). Aren't those wing patterns dramatic?


Beavers (Castor canadensis) on the Eagle Lake Beaver Pond just after sunrise:



White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus) just off the Jesup Path:


 An alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus) struggling up the fish ladder to Somes Pond:


An osprey (Pandion haliaetus) looking for alewives in Somes Pond and the Somesville Millpond:



 And to finish off, a baby Guillemot (Uria aalge, I think). Just look at those little feet!



No comments:

Post a Comment