Saturday, March 27, 2010

Update a Lampshade with Doilies

Hey, look at me! I'm a star again, this time over at One Pretty Thing's Roundup, with this lampshade makeover.

The how-to is really simple. I have lots of old doilies from various relatives and the crocheted trim came from an estate sale.  They are all cotton. I used Dylon Cold Water Dye in A24 Leaf Green, which I really like, even though I don't stir nearly as much as I should. When they were dry I ironed them and glued them onto the shade with Elmer's (which I use for everything that doesn't require a cyanoacrylate), and topped it off with beaded trim, also glued on with Elmer's. (The beaded trim was already the right color.) Time-consuming, but no special skills required other than patience. Just don't smear the Elmer's around too much or you'll see it when the light is on and it's back lit.

5 comments:

  1. I love this! Thank you for the idea and the inspiration. ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Job, Ive been looking for something like this for my bedroom. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEK! Darling!!! Oh the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, you are all so sweet!

    ReplyDelete