Wednesday, September 26, 2012

North of the Welshpool Wharf, Campobello; June 9, 2012


 The sea glass hunting around the Welshpool wharf is some of the best I have ever seen. There wasn't a lot right next to the pier, but to the northwest the beach was speckled with beautifully worn glass. 
According to the owner of our inn, a grand old hotel once stood on this bluff, and it very likely dumped its trash onto the beach. New trash is depressing, but old dumps are fantastic places for beachcombers (and archaeologists). You can see I brought back quite a haul!
There was a crow somewhere on the wharf making an awful racket, so after a while I pulled out my telephoto to see if I could spot him and see what had his panties in such a twist, and this popped into view:
I barely had time to press the shutter button before the eagle flew off. He must have been sitting there for a good quarter hour before I looked up to see what all the fuss was about. I happily gathered glass as the sun began to set, turning around every now and then to make sure I hadn't attracted any more avian stalkers, and occasionally looking up to admire the view.
The sun sank,
a light fog drifted up the passage,

and the lights of Eastport came on over the water.
When it got too dark to see the beach, I trotted back to our warmly lit inn and shared a glass of wine with my husband, who dutifully admired my finds. I suspect he secretly thinks most of it belongs in the recycling bin, but we were in Campobello celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary, and one key to a long marriage is not pointing out when your spouse's hobbies are slightly dotty. 
What a lovely day. 

Addendum:
 I wasn't completely happy with the colors in my first shot. What do you think - first or second try?


In the first still life: Jasper beach stone, sea glass, Ten-Ridged Whelk (Neptunea decemcostata), china, bone, brick, Blue Mussel (Mytilus edulis), Waved Whelk (Buccinum undatum), rubber, and industrial ceramic. 

In the second:  Sea glass, china, bone, Waved Whelks (Buccinum undatum), Ten-Ridged Whelk (Neptunea decemcostata), sea brick, jasper beach stone, industrial ceramic, and rubber.

No comments:

Post a Comment