Thursday, April 29, 2010

Neighborhood Topography


Neighborhood Topography, originally uploaded by quercus design.
When I was a kid I used to ride around my street on a turquoise bike with a banana seat and a white wicker basket with plastic flowers on it, taking pictures of houses with a Brownie camera. When I got older I had a red ten-speed and a plastic Kodak Instamatic, and I took pictures of houses all over town. The photos almost never looked the way I wanted them to, and I had no idea what was missing. Mostly they were awful, but I never threw them away. I never threw anything away! Then I turned 40, realized I was turning into my mother, and started vigorously either using things or getting rid of them. These particular photos are square-format prints from the late 70s and early 80s, incorporated into a series of drawings I've worked on for several years, exploring synchronicity between topography, geology, cartography and other ways of creating and defining landforms. (In my last 'life' I was a landscape architect. Technically I still am, but I haven't practiced for a couple of years. Long story.) A couple of them showed up in my last post.
Details:
Neighborhood Topography (detail)


 There are more detail photos on my Flickr page. If you click the photos they will take you there.
1970s photos process-printed on Kodak paper, Higgins black India ink (both waterproof and non-w), Higgins Calligraphy ink, Sakura Micron pens, Pilot Precise pens, Arches watercolor paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment