Sunday, August 22, 2010

It's Here!


So the microphone boom wasn't nearly sturdy enough, even for my tiny little Olympus Stylus. With the camera mounted, the slightest touch made the boom wiggle. Aargh! So I gave up and ordered something designed for the job at hand. Sometimes you just can't DIY.
 I looked at tripod extensions first, since I have a perfectly serviceable, super sturdy, super cheap old (vintage!) Davidson Star tripod, and as you know by now I am a firm believer in using what you have. After reading a lot of reviews and online discussions, I settled on Giottos' MT9360 aluminum tripod with their MH1003 small ball head. I got mine from B&H Photo. (The second photo is from Adorama Camera.)
And I love it. The instructions could be clearer - it took me a good half hour to figure out how to switch the screw around to one that fit the ball head. Once I figured it out, it took less than 60 seconds to actually perform the switch. The tripod is lightweight, the locks move smoothly, changing the arm to a horizontal mount could not be easier. If I were in the mood to be picky, I could wish the arm were a leeetle longer, but I am so grateful to have something that works I am not disposed to find fault. Yes!

Next post: testing the new tripod....

No comments:

Post a Comment